Saturday, April 17, 2010

Flank Steak




I admit I have been in a bit of a funk lately that I am having a hard time shaking anf unfortuntley my blog friends and BP II are the ones that are suffering. I have been really frustrated with my job on so many levels and I carry that baggage home with me. I don’t know if it is just me or what but I have a real tough time compartmentalizing work and home life. So if I am unhappy with either my general attitude just sucks. Anyway, I have not been very motivated to cook and order in or have been leaning on some old standbys to get me though the week (PASTA). That has left me feeling like a big huge puff ball walking around with this piss poor attitude. However, there has been a changing point. I started taking a spinning class which totally kicks my butt and takes all the negative energy and completely zaps it. I leave with my legs feeling like jelly and it motivates me to want to eat better because why else am I working this hard? My vegetable co-op will begin soon and I am really excited for that and hey work is just work and I really have to find the motivation to keep doing the things I love and not falling into these super depressed emo moods.


Last weekend I was thinking about something to cook for dinner and was just coming up blank. So I went to me handy dandy cooking binder with recipes that I have either found on the internet or in a food magazine, for some inspiration. BP II and I have not had steak in awhile and I fund this flank steak with artichoke – potato hash with Aleppo- pepper aioli recipe from Bon Appétit. I love steak and artichokes and it had the heat I knew BP II would like.

The recipe calls for 8 baby artichokes which my food emporium did not have or I couldn’t find. I didn’t want to use the jarred artichokes because this was my opportunity to learn to cut an artichoke. I thought the baby artichokes would be the same as the large artichoke just smaller, right? Wrong! I followed the directions on cutting up the artichokes according to the recipe and I knew something was wrong from the start. They had these little prickly hairs in the center and I was unsure when to stop peeling the leaves back. It was a complete disaster. But I continued because what else was I going to do? Give up, No way José. (Upon some research, I found out that the prickly purple center, you should cut out, I did not do that but now I know.)

The steak turned out fantastic and the pepper Aioli was amazing. I have never done something like that were there is a complimenting dipping sauce. BP II immediately asked to put it in the rotation. I did not have Aioli pepper but used 4 parts paprika and 1 part cayenne pepper instead. I result was this spicy steak but the Aioli added another component that was still spicy but soothing at the same time. If that makes any sense. I definitely recommend that you try it.

Flank Steak with Artichoke-Potato Hash and Aleppo-Pepper Aioli

(from Bon Appetit)

Ingredients

AIOLI
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Sherry wine vinegar

steak
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons Aleppo pepper
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1 1/2- to 2-pound flank steak
1/2 lemon
8 baby artichokes, stems trimmed
1 1/4 pounds unpeeled small yellow potatoes (such as baby Dutch or Russian Banana)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 cup water
2 fresh thyme sprigs
1 garlic clove, minced
 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon peanut oil or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives



Preparation

aioli

• Mash garlic, Aleppo pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt to paste in mortar with pestle or in small bowl with back of spoon. Whisk in remaining ingredients. DO AHEAD Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.

STEAK

• Mix thyme, Aleppo pepper, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in small bowl. Rub seasoning mixture into steak; set aside. DO AHEAD Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to room temperature before continuing.

• Squeeze juice from lemon half into medium bowl of water. Cut 1/2 inch from tops of artichokes. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, break off dark outer leaves until only pale yellow leaves remain. Cut artichokes lengthwise in half; cut each half into 1/2-inch wedges. Place in lemon water to prevent browning.

• Place potatoes in heavy large saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover; sprinkle with salt. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-high and boil until potatoes are just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain. Transfer to baking sheet until cool enough to handle. Halve or quarter potatoes.

• Drain artichokes; pat to dry well, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add artichokes and sauté until browned, about 4 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water, thyme sprigs, and garlic. Cover skillet and simmer over medium heat until artichokes are tender, about 5 minutes. Uncover and boil until no liquid remains, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes. Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and potatoes; stir to coat. Add cream and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until potatoes are heated through and browned in spots, stirring often, about 6 minutes. Season hash to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 hour ahead. Let stand at room temperature.

• Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat peanut oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add steak and cook until bottom is brown, about 2 minutes. Turn steak over; transfer to oven and roast until cooked to desired doneness, about 7 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to work surface; tent with foil to keep warm. Let rest 10 minutes.

• Meanwhile, rewarm artichoke-potato hash gently over medium heat. Stir in chopped chives. Thinly slice steak crosswise. Divide steak and hash among plates. Drizzle some aioli over steak. Serve, passing remaining aioli alongside.


No comments:

Post a Comment