Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Is that on sale?



My non stick skillet was looking pretty shabby. We have been together a while now, almost 4 years and I have been waiting for my tax return to finally retire the sad piece of metal. When the check cleared, I high tailed it to Bed Bath and Beyond to pick out the new addition to my cooking family. I wanted something relatively inexpensive; I am in no position to be spending $160 of my hard earned dollars on a pan, but I also wanted quality. I was hunting around for a bit and then I saw it: the Calphalon Hard Anodized Non-Stick 10” Omelette Pan. I fell in love at first site and for only $50 I was happy as a clam.



I was walking out of the cooking section with a silly grin on my face when I walked by the knives in the glass case section. I immediately flashed to how frustrating my $19.00 knife was last week when I was cutting tomatoes. I wanted a nice sharp knife to cut though onions like butter. All of a sudden, I was telling the salesman I wanted a really sharp knife and he was hunting though the drawers for the 7” santoku Global knife. They were out of stock and I was about to leave for home but then I saw the Calphalon Katana 7” Santoku Knife. Again, the man hunted around for this specific knife and eureka, it was in stock. Then, I saw the price tag: $79.99. Ouch! I convinced myself that I needed this knife and it was a safety issue. What if my dull knife slipped and I cut off a finger? What if I was home alone and I bled to death from this finger injury? I had to have it.


I left Bed Bath and Beyond with my wallet feeling significantly lighter but excited to cook a meal with my new toys. I was also so happy BP II wasn’t with me because he surely would have been “disappointed” with my spending habits. Let me tell you, when BP II got home, I cooked him the most amazing meal (at this exact time, I can’t remember for the life of me what I cooked but I assure you it was fantastic). My knife sliced though veggies no problem and the pan sautéed like a dream. I felt like I was on Top Chef preparing the winning meal. Totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment