Monday, March 29, 2010

Katie Lee minus the Joel



I guess I am a little behind on this bandwagon but better late than never right? I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable foodie and can recognize many a foodie personality. (Luckily, I live in NYC where almost everyone who is a foodie personality resides) However, Katie Lee didn’t really pop up on my radar until her divorce proceedings began from infamous womanizer Billy Joel. I completely missed her on the first season of Top Chef and I actually watched that season. (I stopped watching Top Chef in the Las Vegas season, it gets a bit repetitive.) But the point is she was completely forgettable.

I have a very good friend in publishing, knowing I like to cook, offered to send me a copy of Katie Lee’s book. I was like whom? Turns out Katie was a foodie herself before she met the Piano man and because she happens to have a pretty face she landed the top chef gig. Katie cooks comfort food and some recipes from her first book are spinach and artichoke dip, crispy oven roasted-fried chicken, and no bake chocolate oatmeal cookies. The problem is, I don’t see her as a person I want to sit down and have a down home meal with. She seems uptight and forced. She is like a wannabe skinny Ina Garten with all the attitude but none of the approachability.

I have yet to cook any of Katie’s recipes and when I do I will be sure to let you know but they seem rather good. She actually won the Burger Bash at the Food and Wine festival with her Logan County Hamburger which is a cross between a burger and a grilled cheese. (YUM) I hate Rachael Ray with a passion but can admit that the woman cooks good food.

My advice to Katie: Lighten up. Your audience is young cooks in their early twenties and thirties. We don’t own summer houses in the Hamptons, own town homes in the West Village that are featured in Town & Country, have 950 square feet of kitchens in NYC and have exes that our Mom’s adored in their twenties. Finally, drop the fake accent. You are from West Virginia for heaven’s sake.

Logan County Hamburgers
From The Comfort Table by Katie Lee Joel

Ingredients

1 pound ground beef (85 percent lean)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 medium yellow onion, half grated, the other half thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
12 slices white bread
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
12 slices American cheese, optional

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, combine the beef, egg, grated onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined.

2. Form into thin patties.

3. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.

4. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the burgers about 3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Drain the grease from the skillet.

5. In the same skillet, place six slices of bread, butter side down. Top each with a slice of cheese, if desired, some onions and a burger. Top with remaining slices of cheese, if using, and bread, butter side up.

6. Cook each sandwich until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.

7. Serve with mustard, ketchup, pickles, or any other desired hamburger toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment