Thursday, February 11, 2010

Blizzard Wednesday




There was a blizzard in NYC yesterday and as I was marching home, though the snow in with my pink galoshes, I was thinking about what I am going to do for dinner. I didn’t want to stop at Food Emporium because they would probably be out of everything and it was so gross out I just wanted to get warm and dry. Luckily, I always have some bone in chicken breasts in my freezer. When these babies go on sale I like to stock up and they are just perfect for a quick meal. I had some baby carrots in my fridge from last weekend and rice again to finish off the meal.

Roast Chicken

Ingredients:

2 bone-in Chicken Breasts
1 TBL of Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

Directions:

Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. This is very important to get the skin crisp. Even if you don’t eat the skin, it keeps the meat nice and moist. Preheat oven to 400°.

Sprinkle chicken with olive oil and liberally season with salt and pepper. Rub chicken with your hands ot make sure chicken is coated.

Pop in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until internal temp reaches 155°. Place with aluminum foil and rest for 10 minutes.

Roasted Carrots

I did the same thing to the carrots I did with the chicken. Coat in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. If you have other spices such as rosemary or thyme you can add those as well. Rub with your hands to make sure everything is coated and bake for about 20 min in a 400° oven or until brown.

White Balsamic Rice

Ingredients:
1 shallot. chopped
½ cup of rice
½ cup of white balsamic vinegar
1 TBL of olive oil
¼ cups of chicken stock
Salt and pepper

Directions:

Heat medium sauce pan to med-high heat and add the butter and shallot. Sweat the shallot until translucent. Add the rice and stir to coat. Add the white balsamic vinegar and cook until all liquid is gone.

Next, add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for about 15 minutes stirring once or twice. Remove from heat and let stand another 5 minutes still covered. Fluff up with a fork when ready to serve.

1 comment:

  1. The rice was my favorite part. It helped that you used the higher quality rice left over from the risotto.

    ReplyDelete