Monday, February 8, 2010

This might be difficult to recover from




I have really been neglectful of my blog readers (are there any?) lately. The truth is, there was an incident and I was unsure if I was going to share it with the world. But the point of this blog is to learn and tell my story so here it goes. The night started out normally. I went to Food Emporium with BP II and we were picking out things to eat this weekend. Steaks were on sale so we picked up 2 along with some eggplant as a side. I happened to have some salad at home as well to complete the meal. We went home and everything was normal. I started cooking around 7:30. I started by sautéing the eggplant until soft then adding some cream and walnuts. Now it was time for the steak. It was a thin steak this time around; maybe a top round sirloin without the bone. I patted the meat dry with a paper towel and seasoned with salt and pepper. I heated my pan and added a tablespoon of butter with some olive oil and then added the steaks. I waited about 4 minutes and flipped. There was a nice brown crust and I figured that because the meat was so thin and I like my meat rare, another 4 minutes should be perfect. I still had to make the salad and meat continues to cook while resting. I have the meat on a cutting board and make a very simple pan sauce with some red wine, Worchester sauce and a little bit of butter.

BP II and I sit down to eat and everything looks good. The steaks were a little rarer then I intended but they were tender and quite good. The eggplant was ehh. I probably won’t make that again. We happened to stay in that night and I went to bed early. In the middle of the night I wake to projectile vomiting. The poor kid. I gave my boyfriend food poisoning. He was up half the night vomiting his brains out. I felt terrible. And the weird thing is, I was fine. I am normally the person with the sensitive stomach. I have no idea what happened.

I guess the moral of the story is you have to cook your meat well or risk food poisoning. No if, ands, or buts about it. Needless to say, I think it might be awhile before we have steak again.

**Note: I would like to say that my steak was not any rarer then the picture

No comments:

Post a Comment