Thursday, February 18, 2010

My First Hake




I was reaching for something to cook for dinner that was relatively healthy. I have been eating so terribly lately, my body was craving nutrients. I thought a fish fillet with some salad would make me feel a little better. I was pleasantly surprised to see the fish department nicely stocked at Food emporium. The man at the counter told me that the hake was fresh and I should try it. I figured, it’s white fish, fairly thin why not? BP II asked if I knew how to cook hake and as usual, I lied and said I was very knowledgeable. “Yes dear, I have lots of things I could do with this fish. You just wait and see.” And after a quick google search when BP II was not looking, I found out that hake was very similar to other thin white fish like flounder or catfish. Crisis averted.


The fish turned out really well, nice and flakey-just how I like it. All I did was put a little butter and oil in a pan, salt and pepper the fish, cook on 5 minutes on both sides or until a nice brown crust forms and the fish is cooked though.

To make a pan sauce, I removed the cooked fish from the pan and put aside. While on med heat, add about a TBL of lemon juice to help remove the brown bits from the bottom. Let this simmer and add about 3 TBL of capers with juice. Add a teaspoon of cornstarch and a TBL of butter before serving.

I served on top of spinach with a homemade vinaigrette. BP II was afraid there was not enough food, so I whipped up some orzo with some butter and lemon juice at the last minute. Needless to say, there was plenty of food for two people. But very delicious food I must say.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful presentation! its like your boyfriend eats in a restaurant every night

    ReplyDelete