Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Follow up Post

Chicken Stock

Despite the aesthetic disaster that was the roast chicken, the taste was very good. I also, could do so much with it. I first made some home made chicken stock by covering the bones with water in a large pot. Let it simmer for (well, I let the chicken simmer in water for 6 hours. But it was not on purpose; I went to a concert on Saturday night and ended up staying wayyyy later then I intended. Yes, with my stove on low heat and all things flammable removed. Not that I would have anything flammable by my stove anyway. When I cam back there was not much left of my stock and all that was left was a concentrated chicken concoction. I do not recommend making stock this way.) about 3 hours. Strain out chicken pieces and you have a beautiful stock left. If you happen to have some root vegetables and fresh herbs, throw them in too with the chicken bones. Then again discard after straining.


Chicken Pot Pie

On Monday after jury duty, I made BP II a chicken pot pie. The great thing about chicken pot pie is that you can throw all your leftovers in and make them taste like new. I love when that happens. I didn’t have much but I was digging around in my freezer and found some frozen broccoli. This is how you make it:

Ingredients:
1 medium onion
1 TBL of butter
1 ½ cups of vegetable (could be anything from broccoli to carrots to peas, your choice)
2 cups of chicken stock
3 TBL of flour
1 puff pasty sheet
1 clove of garlic
Egg wash

Directions:

1.) Preheat oven to 350º. Melt butter in medium sauce pan. Chop onion and add to butter and place on medium heat. You do not want to sauté these onions, instead sweat them for about 5 minutes or until tender. Chop garlic and add to onions. Cook for about 1 minute.

2.) Stir flour into onions and garlic. Add chicken stock and stir until sauce becomes thick. About 5 minutes.

3.) Stir in broccoli and scrape into baking dish.

4.) Roll out puff pastry and lay on top of baking dish. Make sure to crimp the puff pasty to the sides of the dish

5.) Add 3 slits on the top and brush with egg wash

6.) Bake for 1 hour and cool for 30 minutes.

Chicken Salad

On the last day of jury duty, I was done at 12. I came home and decided to make a chicken salad sandwich with rest of the chicken leftovers. (I know, finally I am done with this chicken) I stopped at Food Emporium and bought a chibotta roll for $.75. I love bread! I am a complex carbohydrate junkie and bread makes the sandwich. Anyway, when I arrived home, I combined the leftover chicken, cranberries, celery, just enough mayo to cover and a drop of lemon juice in a bowl. Then, placed in the roll, coverd with 2 slices of white American cheese and whalla! The best chicken salad sandwich you ever had.

Ok, I am now done with this chicken.

1 comment: