Tuesday, December 29, 2009

New Year's Resolutions








I am not typically a person who makes New Year’s resolutions. I mean if you want to do something, just go out and do it. You don’t need a “new year” as motivation.  That logic has always bothered me. However, I look at everything 2009 has brought me and as bad as it is out there, with recessions and all the celebrity death’s, I thought it might be positive to set some new goals for 2010. I have made such strides with my cooking and I want to continue to learn and grow as a more experienced cook. I mean I have crossed major bridges, like the pie dough incident and the German potato salad incident.  Each one making me a little better or a little bit more knowledgeable. Now I know that it is always a good idea to have a back up pie crust in the freezer for just in cases. Sometimes things just don’t work out. And French onion soup. I have always wanted to learn to make a French onion soup and I thought it was going to be difficult and such a process, but really it was great. I guess learning to just try things is half the battle. Anyhoo, I have compiled a list of things that I would like to make in 2010. Well, it started out as dishes that I would like to make but then that became too difficult so I broadened the parameters a bit.


1.)Learn to make gnocchi 
2.)Make a real ragu that you have to simmer on the stove for hours 
3.)Find a really good pan sauce that works with all kinds of meat 
4.)Make a homemade pesto without a food processor 
5.)Make my Nana’s perogies 
6.)Learn to make bread 
7.)Find some healthier alternatives for my cooking 
8.)Make ravioli 
9.)Make something that requires real ginger root. It has been sitting in my kitchen forever  
10.) A real good lasagna

3 comments:

  1. These are all admirable goals. May I suggest another? How about making bagels? They can be a challenge, but a good batch could rival the best deli bagels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the gnocchi would be really interesting and tasty...they are one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
  3. What would you put in the ravioli?

    ReplyDelete