Friday, November 13, 2009

When you are to lazy to cook

Lately, I have been so run down and have absolutely no energy. I get home from work and all I want to do is sleep. As you can imagine cooking as become a low priority on weeknights. I just want to make something quick and easy, not spending my entire night slaving over the stove. Usually, I will just make a big pot of soup once a month and freeze the leftovers. Then on weeknights buy a loaf of bread, take the soup out of the freezer, simmer on the stove for 30 minutes until hot and call it dinner. However, that routine has become a bit tired and then I saw my crock-pot. It has been sitting on this lone shelf in my kitchen since I moved into my new apartment. Of course, the shelf is so high I need a ladder to reach it but one ambitious morning I had BP II take it down for me. (Yes, a weekday morning before your boyfriend goes to a bank meeting is the best time to ask him to do things for you< insert sarcasm here>) I decided to make a quick and easy pot roast in the crock-pot so when I got home, dinner would be ready. I happened to have left over chuck roast from the red wine stew I made awhile back in my freezer. The previous night I had cut up and onion, celery and carrots to make the morning easier. (As we all know, I am NOT a morning person. The less I have to do in the morning the better.)

I placed the chuck roast in the crock-pot, followed by the cut of veggies. I then added one can of cream of mushroom soup, ¼ cup of water and a package of onion soup mix on top of that. Placed the lid on top and went to work. When I came home, the whole apartment smelled of pot roast. I gave it a quick mix with a spoon and saw how the pieces of chuck roast were just falling apart. I happened to have some mashed potatoes leftover from a previous night, so I just served them alongside the pot roast. (If, I did not have the mashed potatoes, I probably would have added some boiling potatoes in with the veggies to cook with the pot roast.)

This was so yummy. It made so much food and was able to make a casserole with the leftovers another night. That’s right, I made a dinner out of leftovers and then another dinner out of those leftovers.

On another note, I am hosting the cooking club this Sunday. Totally freaking out about what to make. BP II told me I had to make a turkey because I was the host; however, this is not THANKSGIVING. So we will see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with BPII that a turkey is mandatory. Everyone comes over with food and eats in November? Sounds like Thanksgiving to me

    ReplyDelete