Monday, January 11, 2010

Red Cabbage and Apples






Courtesy of Kristen C.


I have not eaten very much cabbage in my life and I think my Nana scarred me for life with her Galumpkis. Ugh I still have nightmares with her forcing me to eat this meat and vegetable mixture rolled in green cabbage. Oh childhood.

Kristen C. red cabbage was nothing like the horror I experienced as a child. I really like the sweet and savory complexities of this dish. I was lucky enough to take home a spare red cabbage and I will definilty be making this recipe soon.

Ingredients:

2 TBL vegetable Oil
8 cups of shredded cabbage
1 onion
2 tart apples
2 TBL of water
1 ½ teaspoons of salt
Ground black pepper to taste
3 TBL of white sugar
3 TBL of distilled white vinegar

Directions:

Heat oil in medium saucepan. Stir in cabbage and onion; fry until wilted. Stir in apple and water, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.

Pour vinegar and sugar into the mixture while tasting for desired sweet and sour taste. Cook another 5-6 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment