Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Apple Pie Post



I am not a huge apple pie lover. I mean it is ok but I am mainly on board for the whipped cream that is served with the pie. Anyway, after my pumpkin pie someone at work offered me money to make an apple pie. I was like of course I’ll do that. I have made this apple pie for BPII before and it was pretty amazing. However, I used store bought pie crust and puff pastry. This time around I wanted to perfect my pie dough making skills.


I used the same recipe as my pumpkin pie post but doubled the recipe to accommodate the top portion of the pie. I also used half warm butter and then half frozen butter that was grated. I am still a little unsure of exactly how much ice water I should be using. I don’t want to use to much and have this sticky mess but I also so not want a dry floury dough. The result was still a little dry and when I was making the lattice work, the dough was falling apart on me a bit. I remedied the problem by piecing it back together. Definitely not perfect but it worked and tasted great.

This was a home run at work. Everyone loved it. I definitely recommend trying it out.



Grandma’s apple pie


Ingredients:

1 Pie Crust
1 sheet of pie dough
4 Apples, peeled
1 TBL of lemon juice
½ cup of granulated sugar
½ cup of brown sugar
¼ cup of water
3 TBL of flour
½ cup of butter


Directions:

1.) Preheat oven to 450º

2.) Arrange peeled apples in pie crust. Sprinkle with lemon juice. (This keeps the apples from browning when exposed to air)

3.) Take sheet of pie dough and cut with a knife into strips. I used 6 wide strips. Place pie dough strips on to apples and make a lattice formation. ( Video Below)

4.) On medium-high heat melt butter in a sauce pan. Add flour and combine. Essentially you are making a roux.

5.) Add granulated sugar, brown sugar and water. Bring to a boil and lower heat. Simmer for 5 minutes.

6.) Pour the caramel colored mixture through the lattice work and on to the apples.

7.) Place on baking sheet and bake at 450º for 15 minutes, then at 350º for 35 minutes or until the dough starts to brown.

8.) Let cook before serving.

That is it. So easy and so delish!



1 comment:

  1. The crust was very flaky & tender, the half warm then half cold butter technique really paid off, as did grating the butter.

    ReplyDelete