Thursday, October 15, 2009

One potato, two potato, three potato, four


I have always been a huge fan of the potato. I like them roasted, mashed, chessed and double baked. Have you ever gone into a grocery store and been so confused about the different types of potatoes? Which type is best for your dish? Up until I started this blog I have gone by the trial and error method. I wonder on down the potato isle and see what catches my eye (or what is on sale). Then, I go home and figure out what to do with it. Most commonly roast it or mash it. However, I want to start learning about the food I am cooking and why one ingredient works better then others.

The type of potato you use depends on this dish you want to create. If you want to make a soup or stew (boiling), go for a potato that is low in starch (yellow, blue or red) so they won’t fall apart on you. When baking, you should use a starchy potato such as yellow or russet. An easy way to tell is if the skin has a waxy texture it is a boiling potato and will hold its shape when cooked. If the skin is dry and cork-like, the potato is high in starch as should be used for baking and mashing.


Potatoes should not be refrigerated because this turns the starches to sugars. Instead, keep potatoes in a cool, dark, dry and well ventilated place. Do not expose to direct sunlight. If little sprouts start to form this is fine, just cut off with a knife. Potatoes are best if they are used within a week of buying but can keep for about 2 weeks.

Yellow Potatoes (Yukon Gold)


This potato is considered the all around potato. They are good for pretty much everything. You can mash, steam, boil, bake or roast them

Red Potatoes



These potatoes are good for steaming, boiling, roasting, au gratin and scalloped. I use these for my German potato salad and they hold up really well

Russet Potatoes



These potatoes are good for baking and boiling. They are high in starch and by far the best for mashed potatoes and French fries. They are easily identified by their course, dry skin.

White Potatoes



These potatoes are also a good all around potato. You can mash, boil, steam, au gratin and roast them.

Fingerling Potatoes



These are good for baking, boiling and roasting. They are a low starch potato and I use these potatoes for my roasted potatoes. I cut the fingerlings lengthwise and into bite size pieces. Then spread out evenly on a baking sure, making sure not to overlap. I drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper and rosemary. Next, use your hands to mix everything together making sure the fingerlings are evenly distributed. Bake at 400 degress for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. How do you get your roast potatoes to have a crispy outside and soft inside? That is how i like them

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good/useful tip about not having to put potatoes in the fridge..

    ReplyDelete