Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I'll Just Have a Coke


I was told at lunch recently that I was being unhealthy for drinking a can of diet coke a day. I eat fruit everyday. Always have a vegetable when I make dinner. Does the fact that I drink soda undo all the healthy things I try to do? Well I decided to research this very important issue in my life. According to several websites ( I am not sure if you can believe everything on the Internet but I figured if I took a sampling, I might be able to draw a semi-correct conclusion) the main problem is sugar. Sugar causes obesity which leads to all kinds of problems. What about diet soda?
Apparently, diet soda can deregulate our innate ability to judge caloric intake, subconsciously make people eat more because they think they are ingesting fewer calories and there is a theory out there stating that even though there is no sugar, our body still releases insulin. Honestly, there is no real proof that diet soda is bad for you. It seems like if you can control what you eat you will be fine. (Besides that insulin theory, but that is still in theory stage so I am just not going to count that) I feel like the point being made over and over again is that soda is just not the best choice of drink for you, 100% juice or water would be better. Soda does not contain any vitamins or minerals and therefore it would be better to drink something that did have those things. But if you get plenty of vitamins and minerals and drink water regularly, I do not believe you are doing your body harm.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that diet soda is fine from a calorie/sugar perspective, but it is still bad in other ways due to the high acid content, etc. However we all need some vices to keep life interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't fathom how anything that has zero calories and is not water can be good for you, too many man made chemicals if you ask me. But there is alot worse you can do, and if it makes you happy...

    ReplyDelete