Tuesday, October 20, 2009

What are you buying at the grocery store?



The above chart is from bitten.com (http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/) and shows the best-selling grocery items for the 52 weeks ending June 14, 2009. I can not believe that the best selling item in grocery stores is carbonated beverages. I like my soda too people (please see: I’ll have a coke) but the number one selling item. Don’t they sell food items at grocery stores? The only perishable foods on this list are milk, bread and cheese. I do not eat the healthiest, I mean I ate sweet potato fries last night for goodness sake but at least they were natural and grown from the earth. In the time is takes to heat up a frozen dinner, you could have made some grilled chicken and a steamed veggie. My parents divorced when I was young and worked very hard to support my bother and I; however, we always had a family dinner no matter how late they would return home. My dad would make kielbasa or my mom and her hamburgers. There are lots of items that you can make quickly that are still good for you without taking something out of the freezer with preservatives.

I am trying to think what my top grocery store items are. I spend the majority of my money on protein. In the city it is just so expensive. Then a dairy items, either butter or cream, maybe a cheese. Veggies come third and starches come 4th. OOOOOOOOOO wait. I forgot about the wine. Wine/beer is up there. Maybe it would be after protein? I am such a lush!
Anyway, I guess to each there own when buying items at the grocery store. It is a little interesting, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment