Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Nectarine Pie


After the Food and Wine Festival, me and BPII went to the Union Square farmer's market. I love getting my produce from a farmer's market instead of going to the local Food Emporium. I feel the prices are better (as long as you are not buying the all natural and organic beef they keep in those coolers) and the produce just looks more appetizing. Anyway, I am mingling around looking at all the gorgeous heirloom tomatoes, fresh corn on the cob and pumpkins. Then I see BPII by the peaches. I tell him that we can make a tart or a pie out of them if he wants to buy some peaches. I started to go through the peaches bin and they were bruised and sticky from the peach juice. Definitely not a good sign. Right beside the peaches bin were white nectarines. They looked great and I decided to scrap the peaches and go for the nectarines instead. BPII was skeptical but bought the nectarines. I found the following recipe at allrecipies.com but I did not follow the recipe exactly.



Ingredients:
2/3 cup white sugar
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
5 nectarines
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shell

Directions:

1.) Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2.)Place a large pot of water over high heat, and bring to a boil.
3.) Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, heavy cream and almond extract. Set aside.
4.)Place the nectarines in boiling water for 30 to 45 seconds. Immediately place nectarines under cold running water and remove skins. Cut nectarines in half and remove pits. Place halves in the pie shell with the cut side down. Pour the cream mixture around the nectarines.
5.) Bake at 400 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes. Good served warm or cold.


I boiled my nectarines for 35 seconds and promptly put them in an ice bath. I tied to take off the skins with much difficulty. I think I should have boiled them a bit longer. In the end, I decided to leave the skins on. I recommend you sprinkle a little lemon juice on the nectarines before they start to brown (You can use a Vitamin C tablet crushed up if you have that on hand) I did not have almond extract and used vanilla extract instead. The result was still pretty yummy. I forgot to cover the pie edges with aluminium foil so the crust is a bit brown but I figured we were going for delicious and not necessarily looks.


3 comments:

  1. I tried this recipe and it was very tasty...the nectarines don't have the punch of peaches in a pie but it is quite savory and the texture with the sugar and cinnamon is nice. I think next time it would be good with some lemon or orange zest to enliven the flavor some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you christopher for your thoughts. With your years of culinary experience, your constructive criticism is appreciated. I believe you had half a pie :)

    ReplyDelete